Thursday, September 15, 2011

University Life

I just came back from a morning in the campus. For today i planned to go to the University central library in order to peruse and to find the texts for the readings that I would have to make. One thing that's sure is that a lot of things have changed since I was here in the University, either that or I'm saying this also because I'm in a situation that's vastly different that I had when I was a simple university student studying for a Bachelor's degree in one of the faculties of the . I first headed to one of the buildings--the Faculty of Humanities building--in order to buy me a card with which to be able to do photocopies of texts that I would need. You know everything is done by plastic right here: you don't need to pay in metallic  currency just to get a ride in the urban bus, or even to make purchases in the supermarket, as long as you have the appropriate card. This card of the OCÉ allows you use of the photocopiers in many of the buildings within the copies. You have to reload it of course. 



Anyway, after having done the necessary transactions I went straight to the Library. This was the first time I was really able to enter it, since entrance is reserved only to professors and workers, researchers and investigators working on their licentiate and doctoral theses (like me, well, I still won,t have to focus on that yet). One needs to get past the guards and the librarians in the ground floor, who are as vigilant as the gnomes in Gringots, mind you. The Theology and Canon Law section is located on the fifth floor, and when I entered it...boom! Again I felt like a kid trapped in a candy store. Thousands upon thousands of volumes where arranged on the shelves, and there were desks for investigators along the sides of the large room. some of the shelves were still empty, ready to recieve new books to the collection which would have veritably surpassed the legendary Library of Alexandria. Well, to be truthful, it WAS an alexandrian library...I found a lot of rare publications, huge tomes, and within the library, within easy access (I suppose of any studious investigator) are even rare books and manuscripts that are meant to be read in a special sala. I've set my eyes on a collection of archives of chronicles of a province of a religious order in the Philippines during the 18th century. I'm planning to see and peruse it one day. I borrowed a book about history of the Church in the Philippines in Spanish, and it's really very good, and as I read on I began to think of writing about the beneficial humanitarian work which the religious friars did in the Philippines during the colonial period. All this was flashing in my mind against visions of placards shouting "Damaso" people decrying the obscurantism of the colonial period in the Philippines. Yes, that would be an interesting idea, not unless someone would beat me to it. La Obra Humanitaria Desempeñada Por Los Frailes Religiosos Durante La Epoca Colonial en Filipinas, Mark Ivo Velásquez Acebedo, Tesis de Licenciatura dirigida por la Prof. Dr. Carmen Alejos Grau... sounds grand, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment