Wednesday, May 9, 2012

D-DAY IN PALO: Archbishop Du's Installation, part 1


I guess I've been quite remiss about announcing the long awaited news of the new Shepherd for the Palo archdiocese. Bishop John Ferrosuelo Du of Dumaguete was appointed by Pope Benedict XVI to succeed Archbishop José S. Palma in the metropolitan See of Palo upon the latter's appointment as the Archbishop of Cebu, replacing Ricardo Cardinal Vidal, who retired about two years ago. Bishop Du's appointment was made public on February 25, 2012. At least I could pride myself for being one of the first to get to know the joyful news, thanks to a priest friend currently studying at the Vatican school for diplomats. I got to receive the news in real time; I could remember breathless out of emotion as I tried to communicate the news through Facebook. After conveying the news, I immediately went down to the sacristy to offer a Mass of thanksgiving. 

I was hoping to be able to make it to the installation, but i soon learned that I would be arriving about two weeks after the event. For the second time thus I would be absent in the installation of the Archbishop of Palo, and considering that His Grace is in his prime, we won't be witnessing any installation for a long time. 

I will be posting the first pictures that come form the other side of the world where these exciting things are taking place.

the program of activities


The Archbishop-elect's arrival in Ormoc from Cebu was marked by
a simple service in honor of Our Lady at the parish church of
Sts. Peter and Paul. He was received by the Archdiocesan
Administrator, Msgr. Jaime Villanueva, and the parish priest, Fr. Gilbert
Urbina.






After taking some refreshments in Ormoc, accompanied by a good number
of the clergy from Dumaguete, he made for Palo, where after a two-hour ride,
he was feted by the local clergy of Palo--his from now on.



Archbishop-elect Du and his predecessor, Archbishop Palma of Cebu.
I hope to post more pictures as they come...

No comments:

Post a Comment